language aesthetics

William Tanksley Google wtanksleyjr at cox.net
Tue May 20 12:04:48 EDT 2003

sandskyfly at hotmail.com (Sandy Norton) wrote:
>My question is: what other languages 'fit' the common aesthetic (if it
>exists) of a pythonista?

I haven't seen any languages as nice looking as Python, but I've enjoyed
Sather (or Eiffel, but I think Sather is far better), Joy, K, and Ruby.

Ruby's too close to Python for me to spend any real time on; the others,
though, all have their own unique fun. I'm currently having the most
fun learning a language based on K and Joy, named "cK". It's a stack based
array language -- essentially a cross between APL and Forth, without odd
characters.

It's brand new, so the documentation's a little sparse; but then it's
so close to K and Joy that you can use their documentation.

http://www.nsl.com/papers/ck.htm

I've had a hard time learning K in the past, and cK is helping me pick
it up.

> Sandy

-Billy