Strange Tkinter error

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun May 11 03:31:24 EDT 2003

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> A colleague is attempting to use my 'twander' program on SUSE 8.2.
> 'twander' is cross-platform filesystem browser implemented in Python and
> Tkinter and is known to work on RH, Mandrake, FreeBSD, and Win32.
> However, on SUSE 8.2, it throw the following error:
>
> Exception in Tkinter callback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File
> "/var/tmp/python-2.2.2-build//usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line
> 1299, in __call__
>      args = apply(self.subst, args)
>    File
> "/var/tmp/python-2.2.2-build//usr/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line
> 1035, in _substitute
>      e.height = getint(h)
> ValueError: invalid literal for int(): ??
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this?

it's a problem with older versions of Tkinter (2.2.2 and older) with
newer versions of Tk (8.4.2 or later).

I think this is fixed in 2.3b1; if you cannot upgrade Python, you might
have to downgrade Tcl/Tk (8.4.1 or earlier should work just fine).

(for some strange reason, the Tcl/Tk folks don't care much about
compatibility; they're even changing C function signatures from one
release to another...  too many amateurs involved, obviously)

</F>