PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue May 6 15:43:49 EDT 2003

Steven Taschuk wrote:

> I have to agree with Alex here: Ick.  My expectation on seeing
>     until foo():
>         bar()
> is that it would be equivalent to
>     while not foo():
>         bar()
> The proposed out-of-order execution is a recipe for confusion,
> imho.

Agreed.  There is precedent for such an "until" construct (i.e., one
that simply a while with a negated conditional) in other languages, such
as Perl.  So not only would such a construct be nonobvious, there is
directly conflict with what it would mean in other languages.  Giving
false indicators of intuitiveness is a really, really bad idea.

(And no, I don't think a Perl-like "until" should be added, either.)

/  \ To be adult is to be alone.
\__/ Jean Rostand
    CatCam / http://www.catcam.com/
 What do your pets do all day while you're at work?  Find out.