Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at attbi.com
Wed May 7 09:53:30 EDT 2003

Van Gale <news at exultants.org> wrote in message news:<4gDta.139$Js5.8476765 at newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> laotseu wrote:
> > Van Gale wrote:
> > (snip)
> >
> >> I think Bruce Eckel is one of the best authors around today, yet when
> >> I saw that Thinking in Patterns is now almost entirely in Java I was
> >> *really* unhappy and I won't buy that book.  I'm sure it's the right
> >> thing for him to do, but trying to digest Java snippets into Python
> >> snippets will make understanding too difficult for me.
> >

> > <silly question>
> > Did you try "thinking in Python" ?
> > </silly question>
>
> Err, somewhere along the line I got confused :)
>
> In the back of my mind I had the impression he had renamed Thinking in
> Python to Thinking in Patterns.  Then when the most recent Thinking in
> Patterns was released I downloaded it ... and there was no reference on
> the download page to Thinking in Python.  Checking on his site now, I
> see there is one on the Books page though so I'm happy again :)  Thanks!

Problem is, "Thinking In Python" is incomplete and hasn't been updated
since 2001 (which is not to say it won't be later).  What I'd love to
see is "Thinking In Patterns" with each example in _both_ Java and
python.  With electronic publishing you could even generate a python
version and a Java version from the same source, then people
interested in both languages could get the combined version.  You out
there, Bruce?  :)