Python & C and Numerical Analyzes

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Wed May 7 14:09:08 EDT 2003

erhan at uzem.itu.edu.tr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My Problem is simple and short.
> I wanna use Python Language for a project that contains very compclex numerical
> analyzes and computations.In another project written in C language, this
> numerical analyzes and computations take a long time as 45 min- 1 hour.I plan
> that use LAPACK(Linear Algebra Package) for Python and PySC and BLAS and
> QuadraPACK. But I am not sure that it is good choice.
>
> In your opinion, is Python Language good and fast for this project.
>
> Thank you very much your answers.

It depends, but generally a good choice.  If most of number crunching is
done in the library routines, then Python codes outside won't add up too
much time, no matter how slow it is.  One benefit, as you are already
aware, is that it's much easier to condition/setup the data using Python
than using C.  Another benefit is that Python development time is much
shorter than C, which may make up for any lost run time. :-)

On the other hand, if you run the code many many times, then perhaps C
is better.  Your library routines are the same, so your algorithm will
be the same.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>