State of Python

Bryan belred1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 00:45:54 EDT 2003

i've never heard of readme.doc before.  i checked out their prices and
bookpool seems to still be the best deal in town.

python in a nutshell:
bookpool: $21.50,
readme.doc: $24.47
amazon: $24.47

python cookbook:
bookpool: $24.50
readme.doc: $27.97
amazon: $27.97

even the shipping cost is cheaper

if anyone knows better deals on python books (not counting safari), please
let the rest of us know...

bryan

"Nick Vargish" <nav at adams.patriot.net> wrote in message
news:yyyn0hm5i85.fsf at adams.patriot.net...
> I don't really read print magazines much, except for a couple of
> science oriented things like SciAm (getting thinner) and Science
> News, so I can't comment on that.
>
> The Borders in Rockville, MD (USA) has a good selection of Python
> books, as did Readme.doc, though I haven't visited the latter in
> several months.
>
> I've noticed an increase in high-profile projects that use Python, for
> example BitTorrent is very popular with the Slashdot crowd, and it's
> written in Python. There's that PIM/E-mail client whose name escapes
> me at the moment that's being implemented in Python. More than one
> game company has adopted Python as their scripting language, and
> there's a mainstream image manipulation program that's using Python
> for their scripting engine (I think it's Paintshop Pro from Jasc).
>
> I hardly think Python has "peaked". It's obviously alive and being
> supported by an active and enthusiastic community. As long as that's
> the case, and it does the jobs you want it to do, why worry?
>
> Nick
>
> --
> # sigmask.py  ||  version 0.2  ||  2003-01-07  ||  Feed this to your
Python.
> print reduce(lambda
x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAqbusjpu/ofu?','')