How to get the user name, and to show a select directory dialog?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun May 25 19:12:12 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> RuntimeError: Couldn't get the buffer size!
>
> Looks like, possibly WNetGetUser() (note capitalization) exists but
> has a problem internally, but WNetGetuser() does not even exist.

It works for me on XP - further, I just checked the code, and unlike
another XP specific problem, we aren't relying on a specific error code
to detect this situation - so the current code looks OK.

A quick search through the web suggests that WNetGetUser() may fail if:
     * There are invalid characters or spaces in the Computer Name box.
     * There is no network client installed.

But I doubt that is your case.

Mark.