Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Raymond Hettinger vze4rx4y at verizon.net
Mon May 5 03:46:02 EDT 2003

[Dr. Mertz]
> Subject: Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Hmmph!
That is supposed to be a chapter in *my* book proposal ;-)

> Nonetheless, I think I can
> claim with only slight immodesty that no one, other than perhaps the
> Martellibot, would do a better job with this particular subject.

Hmmph, again!

But, to answer your question.
Yes.  I think it would be wonderful.

There are a ton of books that take a reader just a couple of steps
beyond a tutorial and then leave them to fend for themselves for
anything as black-magic sounding as meta-classes.  A good book
on the subject ought to de-mystify it, make it a legitimate for
daily use, and perhaps become a preferred technique for solving
certain problems.

Even if not applied to daily problems, understanding meta-classes
will imbue the reader with a deep understanding of Python that
cannot fail to improve non-metaclass programs.

Raymond Hettinger