multiple co-existing versions of Python on Windows?

Jonathan Epstein Jonathan_Epstein at nih.gov
Tue May 13 12:40:04 EDT 2003

Hi,

Short version: can Python 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2 all co-exist on the same W2K
system?

Long version:
I'm using a package called NatLink using Python 1.6 ... binaries are
available for Python 1.6&2.2  ... not sure whether any precompiled version
runs on 2.1:
  http://www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/NatLinkVersions.html
  http://www.voicerecognition.org/developers/jepstein/natlinkstuff/

I would like to use the pre-compiled vim 6.1, which is capable of using
Python as a scripting language, but looks for python21.dll.

I would also like to do some wxpython-based development for which I must run
at least Python 2.1, and I'm also impressed by the new 'yield' keyword used
in generators in Python 2.2.

So: I would like to install Python 2.1 for vim use, but I'm only interested
in copying python21.dll and placing it into my PATH ... other than that I
don't plan to really use Python 2.1.  Also, I'd like to transition my
non-vim use towards Python 2.2, but need to keep 1.6 available for now, and
have Python 1.6 listed in my PATH, at least for now.

Can I just go ahead and install Python 2.1 and 2.2, and refrain from adding
them to my PATH, and manually copy python21.dll into a directory which is in
my PATH?

Are there any other coexistance problems (e.g., with win32all) which I need
to know about?

TIA,

Jonathan