control the directory installation of files with bdist_wininst?

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri May 30 10:33:43 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> writes:
>

>>David wrote:
>>
>>>I've made a window installer of some files with bdist_wininst. but I
>>>didn't succeed to control the directory installation.
>>>The file created with bdist_wininst makes the installation of my files in
>>>C:\python22.
>>>I'd like to change this directory installation.
>>
>>You can't currently install stuff outside the Python root dir. Making
>>the install path user-selectable at install time has been on the TODO
>>list for some time (look into the source for the bdist_wininst for
>>this).
>
> I think I should remove these comments, it is not worth it IMO.

I disagree. I was asked several times for my DB module installers why
you can't install them. These people did have a Python 2.1, but it was
part of ZOPE. Or they had just copied the Python dir + the
python{major}{minor}.dll from another machine.

The only workaround I could give them was to unzip the .exe using Winzip
or whatever and then move pieces where they need go be themselves.

This, however, is even more inconvenient than bdist_dumb.

So I think that this feature would be worth it.

-- Gerhard