Launching Multiple Servers

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu May 22 16:16:25 EDT 2003

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote...
> Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> > > Twisted does certainly the trick, but i must admit that is seems
complex
> > > and the documentation is poor.
> > > If you know some good doc. i'm your client
> >
> > Twisted isn't so much complex as *large*.  The trick is knowing which
bits
> > matter to you, and which parts to ignore -- unfortunately, or docs are
> > fairly mediocre at helping you with that :(
>
> I don't entirely agree.  Yes, Twisted is large, but there isn't really
> any trick needed.  Just read the necessary How-Tos (such as on how to
> make a simple TCP server) and (with a basic background in sockets) you
> should have a working basic multiple-server app within a half hour or
> less.  Heck, just use the example code and run it: it works.
>
> There's no reason to worry about the size of Twisted, or figure out
> "what to ignore".  There's an incredible amount to Twisted (I assume)
> beyond what I've used so far, but that fact has not in any way
> inhibited my work as Twisted is so well structured.
>
> Maybe I'm weird: I even found the docs to be pretty good.

No doubt about your weirdness, but not from the evidence above :-)

> > Regardless, I think Twisted is worth investing a little time into.
>
> Definitely!  :)

Me too!

[cough] Might I just take the opportunity to advertise two relevant
tutorials those attending OSCON might want to consider? My own is "Network
Programming in Python", described at

    http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/view/e_sess/4165

and the same afternoon Itamar Shtull-Trauring is giving "Network Programming
with the Twisted Framework", see

    http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2003/view/e_sess/3905

I'm planning to attend Itamar's session, it looks like it will be what I
need to get me started on Twisted.

regards