PEP263 (Specifying encoding) and bytecode strings

Tony Meyer ta-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon May 5 20:59:13 EDT 2003

[Peter Hansen]
> Just a nit to pick:  it's "deprecation", not "depreciation".  It's
> pronounced and spelled differently

[Alex Martelli]
> Old and obsolete features are not just "belittled", they are
> outright *disapproved*.  Therefore, "deprecation" is STILL
> the only correct word to use here (even though in other
> contexts and idioms "deprecate" has taken over in both roles).

Thanks for pointing that out (honestly!).  I had never even noticed - I
must have been doing this wrong for years.  (And to think I teach
English...)

I think this is because of my accounting background - I was thinking in
terms of 'a decrease or loss in value' [1], rather than 'belittled' *or*
'disapproved'.  I see that 'disapproved' is the more accurate meaning,
however.

=Tony Meyer

[1]  i.e. the usage is less valuable now, because there are better ways
of doing it.  At least since I was saying to people "you could be doing
this better", not "I disapprove of the way you are doing this", I was
being nicer, even while showing off my ignorance <wink>.