Can't start Tix

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri May 9 00:01:37 EDT 2003

[Frank]
> Tix is described in section 16.2 of the Python Library Reference
> 2.2.2.  16.2.1 has 3 lines of test code, which fails when I try them;
> it also mentions that the tix83.dll should be in the same directory
> with the tk83.dll.  I have the Tk source and .dll, but only find the
> source for Tix.  /Python22/DLLs has tk83.dll (and others), but not the
> .dll for Tix.

That's so:  at present, Tix is not included in the PythonLabs Windows
distribution.

> I shur would like to know what happened, or what was supposed to
> happen.  Did the Lib Ref just get ahead of itself?

It's describing where you should put the files if you install Tix yourself.
It could be clearer about that.

> The project I'm working on is being done in Python because of the cross
> platform capabilities, so I can't use *nix specific features.

I don't know anything about Tix (which goes a way toward explaining *why*
Tix isn't in the PLabs Windows distro -- I build that distro, & I haven't
had the "spare time" to tackle a big package I don't understand or use;
there is a report about this open on SourceForge, BTW), but I'd be very
surprised if it were Unix-specific.  (And if you figure out how to build and
install Tix on Windows so that it works well with Python, share what you
learn in the SF report!)