weak versus dynamic, definitional origins

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Fri May 16 01:21:41 EDT 2003

I am aware of the definition of weak, dynamic, static, and strong
typing, as is used typically here in the python community. Got into
an argument with a coworked the other day, however, who was insisting
that strong=static, and so I was hunting around for the definitional
origins. Turns out, there are a number of universities and sources on
the web that do make just that claim.

I know, however, that we in the dynamic language community consider
C to be "weakly and statically" typed, and python to be "strongly
and dynamically typed." I even know just what that means.

What I'm wondering if anyone who sits in academia is aware of the
nature of this definitional schism, and perhaps has a little history
of when the nomenclature that we're using became more popular.

C//