2-D dist functions

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Fri May 30 16:51:40 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 07:32, Brandon Corfman wrote:

> However, the thing is that's strange to me is that get_dist1 is slower
> than get_dist2.

> def tester():
>      t = time.time()
>      for i in range(0,1000000):

> Shouldn't using math.hypot be faster? If not, why not?

It is for me on my machine, but I have 1 Gig of RAM.  You are creating a
BIG list inside the timing loop.  Change range(0, 1000000) to
xrange(1000000), or build the list outside the loop.

ie:

    test_range = range(1000000)
    for i in test_range:

or even:

    test_range = xrange(1000000)
    for i in test_range:

Report back if the test results do not change.

By the way, you have a FAST machine.  Mine takes 15 seconds to complete
test1, yours takes less than 3 (I'm on a 800 Mhz PIII).  What are you
running (and how much RAM)?

--

Chad Netzer
(any opinion expressed is my own and not NASA's or my employer's)