How to add readline support to python 2.3b1 on HP-UX?

Bernard Delmée bdelmee at advalvas.REMOVEME.be
Thu May 29 06:16:03 EDT 2003

>> There's a copy of expat under Modules, but I there's only a
>> Makefile.in there, no proper Makefile or configure script.
>> How does one enable the expat module, then?
>
> You have to explicitly list all the source code files. Look at how
> setup.py would build the module.

Weird. I mean, explicitly enabling expat led to errors when building,
so I commented it out from Modules/Setup.  Now, I notice that from the
python prompt I can do 'import xml.parsers.expat' no problem. So it seems
setup.py enabled it properly after all. What then, is the recommended
way of building python on unix systems? Is one supposed to just trust
configure/setup.py and then hand-edit Modules/Setup for the libraries
that the automated process missed? Sorry for the confusion, I am
probably spoiled by the neat ActiveState bundles I like to use even
on linux, and I am suprised they don't get better recognition.