The most annoying typo error... [WAIT FOR IT!]

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu May 8 07:38:47 EDT 2003

Peter Ballard wrote:

> Gary Duncan <gmduncan at netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> news:<3EB8FCED.2050509 at netspace.net.au>...
>> ... is not so much an "error" in language terms, but one of poor form;
>> I refer to the tiresome habit of some folks (even PhD's) of appending
>> irrelevant pithy statements at the end of their mails.
>>
>> Leave these sort-of bumper stickers to those on the LHS of the IQ Bell
>> curve, pse, i.e.  not us in c.l.p ;)
>>
>> - Gary (  <pithy statement holder> )
>
> Ah. A hangover from my participation in religious and political
> mailing lists. I usually cut it from my technical posts, but then I
> thought: so many other people do it, so what the heck.
>
> Objection noted.

Then let me get on record as opposing this objection: I think it's
perfectly acceptable to spend 1-2 lines in one's signature on whatever
kind of personal statement one wants to make, be it religious, political,
aesthetic, connected to one's sports-team interests, or whatever.  I
don't, currently, because I've never bothered to set up KNode for it,
but I used to use a random quote from Blake, Wittgenstein, Leopardi, or
the like -- and *why not*?  It's an old and honorable Usenet tradition
and it adds a touch of color and individuality which I appreciate.

Alex