State of Parrot -- was: Re: State of Python

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri May 16 10:05:16 EDT 2003

cooke wrote:
> python473 at yahoo.com (John Howard) writes:
>
>>Is it just me or have I noticed a decrease in articles in magazines,
>>etc about Python in recent months?  I regularly receive several
>
> curious.  that's interesting to hear.  personally, i think python is
> becoming more and more popular.
>
> [...]
> also, i wonder how much parrot will attract people away from python?

This sentence doesn't make sense. You could as well say

"also, i wonder how much the jvm will attract people away from python" or
"also, i wonder how much the clr will attract people away from python"

Parrot is a language-agnostic VM for scripting languages in its infancy.
Did you mean Perl 6? Fromt the suggested syntax I've seen, I don't
disklike it significantly less than the current Perl :-)

http://www.amk.ca/conceit/parrot.html is a good read for Python vs. Parrot.

The only thing that could made me switch from Python were an equally
easy and flexible language with a much faster implementation. I once
looked at Ocaml, but it just didn't make 'click'.

-- Gerhard