HELP needed: Tricks for licensing Python software

Martin Maney maney at pobox.com
Fri May 23 21:55:28 EDT 2003

Max Khesin <max at cnovsisiponatecmh.com> wrote:
> I appreciate the sentiment, but it is meaningless without numbers. It is

It annoys or offends your honest customers; if they don't outnumber
your dishonest ones then you are probably doomed anyway, because
there's really no such thing as copy protection for software, only copy
discouragement.

> true that copy-protection offends some honest people, but the numbers I
> heard seem to indicate (unless you have data to prove the opposite) that
> copy protection is economically advantageous in many instances. Honest

I notice you don't say "all instances", so I don't really need to show
you that it isn't always a win, do I?  :-)

> people will just have to get over it :).

The risk is, of course, that too many honest would-be customers will
"get over it", though not in the way you hope.  But it's your call.
Hope you don't regret it, whichever way you decide to go.