passing by refference

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 15 18:27:01 EDT 2003

"Doug Quale" <quale1 at charter.net> wrote in message
news:87n0hogdjd.fsf at charter.net...
> You're right.  I meant the values are references to objects.

"reference to object" is an implementation concept and method, but not
a 'value' in the abstract universe defined by Python, the information
algorithm language.  Python the language is not (C)Python, the
standard C-coded machine implementation.  Your statement is true, or
can be reasonably seen to be so, in reference to the C implementation,
but it is not necessarily even very meaningful from a more abstract
viewpoint.  So if we are talking in different contexts, it is not
surprising we evaluate the statement differently.

Terry J. Reedy