IDLE not working on RedHat 9

David MacQuigg macquigg at cadence.com
Sat May 24 08:22:57 EDT 2003

Otto,

I had similar problems in Red Hat 8.  The paths in the idle startup
script were wrong, and it wouldn't even start.  I also had problems
resolving all the dependencies under Tkinter (but this may be a
problem only in Python 2.3 beta - see the bug report at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=739424&group_id=5470&atid=105470)

I guess the burden is on the Python developers to check Red Hat's rpm
packages and make sure everything will at least start.  One thing Red
Hat could and should do is provide a way to search their packages for
a needed file.  In my case it was a missing "Xlib.h", and I had to
bother the Python developers to find out it was in the package
Xfree86-devel-4.2.0-72.

Hang in there.  Getting IDLE working is worth the effort.

- Dave