Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Wed May 7 14:12:27 EDT 2003

> From: Kevin Altis [mailto:altis at semi-retired.com]

[big snip]

> If you do not care about cross-platform apps, then Qt is
> probably fine for Linux, PyObjC is probably great for Mac
> OS X, but as soon as you want cross-platform and want
> native look and feel, wxPython is the only game in town,
> despite the extra work you have to do as a developer to
> deal with some differences in cross-platform behaviors.

What about windows? I've tried TKinter, wxWindows, and read the first
couple of chapters in the Qt book, but I guess I just don't grok it.
Perhaps firstly, because I generally don't do GUIs, and secondly,
because what I learned of GUI programming was on the NeXT... For a work
project I've been playing around with C#/NET (in this case ASP/NET), and
although the language sucks, it is extremely easy (even for me) to
create GUIs, e.g. to create an app taking a random sql statement from
the user and displaying it in a table everything is generated, except:

   private void ExecSql_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {
      SqlCommand stmt = new SqlCommand();
      stmt.CommandText = SqlText.Text;    // from the TextBox
      kiraCn.Open();                      // user/passw, not stored in
prog.
      stmt.Connection = kiraCn;
      SqlDataReader res = stmt.ExecuteReader();
      ResultGrid.DataSource = res;
      ResultGrid.DataBind();
      kiraCn.Close();
   }

if you know the statement, it reduces to:

   private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) {
      // SqlDataAdapter object created in GUI for defining the columns
      // you want (also creates stroed procs for you if you ask it to).
      // acctMetaResult1: Auto-generated dataset for getting the result.
      sqlDataAdapter1.Fill(acctMetaResult1);
      // DataGrid1: the GUI grid component
   	DataGrid1.DataBind();
   }

I'm not aware of anything similar for Python/Windows (although I haven't
really been looking, so please prove me wrong :-)

Since I allready own the VS/NET, it's basically free (to mee :-), so my
problem now is how can I get it to work with Python instead of C#?

-- bjorn