passing by refference

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon May 19 23:48:38 EDT 2003

[Joshua Marshall]
> I think one of the problems with this discussion is that the
> difference between modifying objects and rebinding variables has
> been glossed over.  This may be the source of some unnecessary
> disagreement.

The notion of object identity is also important.  The call-by-object
business explicitly addresses all of them (read Liskov or Baker, previously
referenced).  By itself, "call by value" doesn't; by the time you add enough
to it to answer the interesting questions, you've explained call-by-object
in a way that the next person to come along will fight all over again <0.6
wink>.