CGI with Python and Abyss Server

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Mon May 5 04:21:04 EDT 2003

Pascal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run CGI script with Python and Abyss Server but my pc is slow (P133).
> Can I run Python and waiting for Abyss commands (with stdin / stdout)? Like
> that, no time to loose with Python loading...

Sure, just dump CGI. There are tons of alternatives:
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/WebProgramming

You could use Quixote with SCGI or the Medusa backend, for example:
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

Or you could implement your own custom webserver. One approach would be
to hack the CGIHTTPServer included in the standard Python library and
change it so the section that has the comment

# Other O.S. -- execute script in this process

is always executed. This part of the code avoids loading a new
interpreter and uses execfile instead.

-- Gerhard