pydoc and latin-1/iso-8859-1/scandinavian letters

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Wed May 21 11:53:12 EDT 2003

Jorge Godoy wrote:
> [considering switching PostgreSQL adapters]
> Our main concern with a change is related to having to learn different
> modules to use functions (stored procedures) and code the client.

In theory, pyPgSQL, psycopg, pgdb, etc. all conform to the DB-API
specification. And all of them happen to have pyformat as paramstyle.
So apart from possible subtle differences, you'd only have to change the
import, and possibly the .connect call.

> [...] I'll take a look (again) at pyPgSQL. I used to use it at
> FreeBSD. How's its use/performance for stored procedures/functions
> with PostgreSQL? [...]

Certainly good enough for my uses. psycopg is heavier optimized (it's
*all* written in C; it's not readily available for win32, though), but
in my past experience the database adapter was never the bottleneck.

-- Gerhard