It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu May 1 14:55:38 EDT 2003

    Nick> What's aggravating is that now my directions go from:

    Nick> o install Python, be happy

    Nick> o Install DB from SleepyCat
    Nick> o now install Python
    Nick> o finally install bsddb3 from Sourceforge.

I don't understand the bit about Sourceforge.  There is still a bsddb
package delivered with Python 2.3.  API-wise it supports the old interface
as well as supplying a much richer API than the earlier module.  The new
package does require the newer version 3 or 4 DB from Sleepycat to build.
If you still run version 1 or 2, simply tickle the appropriate lines in
Modules/Setup to build the bsddb185 module.

Now would be a real good time to provide feedback on building the old
bsddb185 module.  I don't think it's gotten much testing since retirement.
There's plenty of time to tweak the build process.

Skip