Advice on teaching a 1 day Python class

Raymond Hettinger vze4rx4y at verizon.net
Thu May 22 03:36:39 EDT 2003

> I have
> just about every Python book available, but I don't really think I could
> get through an entire book in one day, even in condessed form. My goal is
> to get people enough familiarity and confidence to get started using Python
> on their next project without hesitation.

I recommend working through the Python chapters in Kent Beck's
Test Driven Development by Example.  He presumes zero prior
knowledge of python and then jumps right in to developing a useful
application (unittest) with only an occassional point on python syntax.
The whole tutorial and application development can be worked
start to finish in a couple of hours.

It would be a wonderful thing to get experienced programmers
converted from the start and then spend the rest of the day
filling in the details.

my-two-cents,

Raymond Hettinger