State of Python

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 13:14:30 EDT 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:

> What *I* think is the real interesting story is how many
> universities are adopting Python for classroom use.
> *There* is an index worth tracking.

Well, I know from several people using it to teach computational physics and
numerical methods at various universities.  And in the scientific computing
(research) community, it is gaining popularity.  The appeal of something along
the lines of IDL/Matlab but open source, with an elegant language, and with
better integration with C/C++/Fortran, is _very_ high.

It may not yet be very mainstream in scientific computing, but it's definitely
picking up steam.  I know, we are barely a blip in the radar for 'business'
users, but still...

Cheers,

f.