IDE Feature request

Andy Jewell andy at wild-flower.co.uk
Sun May 11 16:39:46 EDT 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 10:49 am, Cameron Zemek wrote:
> What features would you like to see in an open source IDE for Python?
>
> * Refactoring (see http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/)
> * Syntax checking
> * Integrated debugger (set debug points in the source editor)
> * Workspace support
> * Code assist (also referred to as code completion)
> * Integrated interactive shell
> * Code browser (browse by module and type)
> * Coverage analysis
> * Unit test generator
>
> What do you think of existing IDEs?
>
> Do you think that having a plugin for an existing IDE (eg. Netbeans,
> Eclipse, Visual Studio) is better then a standalone IDE?
>
> Any other comments on an Python IDE.
>
> Implementation thoughts on IDE:
> * Use wxPython to have a cross-platform environment
> * License it under the same as Python's license
> * Use the scintilla editor (not sure on this)
> * Included existing tools
> * Write complete documentation for IDE as it is implemented
> * Use mainly python as the implementation language
>
> WARNING: I am only new to python and having an open source IDE for Python
> is important for me. As I work with Python I was thinking of developing an
> IDE, however it may never be very advanced compared to an IDE like Visual
> Studio (see below). So in replies to this post, please indicate what you
> feel are the most important features to have in an IDE.
>     In general I prefer to use a text editor and command line tools. After
> using eclipse (for Java programming) I have come to like doing things like
> finding all calls to a method very useful, however I still like the simple
> nature of text editors. I am hoping to make something in between a text
> editor and an IDE.

Sounds great...

A few thoughts about features...

1) Folding support, i.e. the ability to reduce the clutter in a source listing
by selectively hiding code parts, such as procedure and class definitions,
ifs and loops.

2) Expose the text buffer to a python command-line interpreter, so that the
user can issue commands that work on the document being edited.

3) Printer support, including layout customization.  This one's probably the
most difficult to do...

Good luck