Finding stuff in the online docs

Derek Fountain nomail at hursley.ibm.com
Sun May 25 01:51:43 EDT 2003

I'm just getting started with Python, with a specific interest in PyQt. I'm
working through the online references and the online PyQt book, and all is
going well. Mostly. :o)

I'm having trouble finding what I need in the online documentation, which,
in the absence of a Python book (maybe next payday) I'm stuck with.

I have these specific questions, and I'd like to know how to navigate the
online docs to find the answers:

The example code contains these lines at the top:

import sys
from qt import *

What's the difference between the two forms of "import"?

The example code contains this line:

        apply(QPushButton.__init__, (self,) + args)

Where can I find information on the "apply" function? And, what is the
meaning of the (self,) thing? - the comma puzzles me.

If anyone would like to answer these questions here, that'd save me some
time. :o) But what I really want to know is how the search the resources at
python.org (or elsewhere?) so I can find the answers to these issues, and
others, myself.