Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

alc at PublicPropertySoftware.com alc at PublicPropertySoftware.com
Thu May 8 10:42:02 EDT 2003

Cameron Laird wrote:

> Tkinter!  Its packer is much beloved for its sensible defaults,
> which make rough layouts behave sensible with respect to resizings.
>                         .

I've had so many programs using Tk that don't fit on my screen, I
wonder if TkInter adds anything to Tk in this regard.  It is a
major nuisance when an app opens and you pop up a dialog or such,
and it doesn't fit on the screen, the buttons are off the bottom
of the screen, and there is no way to get them back onto the screen.

This is not just a Tk problem, however.  One of the tools for wxPython,
perhaps Boa, IIRC, has the same difficulty.  One of its pull-down menus
goes way down off the bottom of the screen.  How far, I don't know,
but I suspect it's somewhere down around my ankles.  I haven't found
any way to re-position a pull-down menu so that I could see the end
of it.

The Fox GUI toolkit looks like a very very nice one, but I pitched it
without ado when its demo program also popped up something that
wouldn't fit on the screen with no way to move it, scroll it, or
resize it.  At least this happened with less than 10 minutes invested.
Much worse when something breaks after I'm more than committed.

Sizing by pixels is evil and ought to be outlawed.  The two best
ways for dealing with this problem that I've found are wx, which
works with Python, and GTSizer (which works with Delphi, not Python).

Al