Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue May 6 10:10:46 EDT 2003

In article <3EB7B189.2691E394 at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>>
>[on whether to use wxPython or PyQT]
>> If the choice between them isn't yet clear to you, it
>> probably will depend on learning more about your specific
>> requirements and situation.
>
>And since this is, after all, Python, you could simply *experiment*
>with one or the other, or both, in an afternoon and decide for yourself
>which feels more appropriate.
>
>With some other languages and frameworks, it can be a serious
>investment of time and thought just to download, install, and write
>Hello World.
>
>With Python, this should not take you more than, say, one hour *tops*,
>so there's no excuse for not taking it out for a spin to see for
>yourself what works best for you.
>
>-Peter

Peter, I agree that it is both true and important to emphasize
to newcomers that they can realistically expect to get a feel
for Python in an afternoon, in contrast to C, Java, and several
other technologies.

I do NOT agree that this describes the GUI toolkit bindings
well.  The pertinent differences between wxPython and PyQt take
longer to learn by experience than do the ones between Python
and Perl, say.

I think newcomers to GUI construction with Python do well to
seek expert advice.  Accurate expert advice is certainly what
Alex gave; my guess is it helped the original questioner sig-
nificantly.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net