how to extend an instance of visual class: was using RADs in OO way

Donnal Walter donnal at donnal.net
Fri May 23 14:05:28 EDT 2003

Serge Boiko wrote:
> It was only a simple example to demonstrate the problem. Actually
> I'm *really* interested in the layout settings rather than in something
> else. My idea is to use the "visual proxy pattern" proposed by
> Allen Holub.

A year or two ago I developed a set of "visual proxies" for various data
modeling classes using wxPython. The implementation itself worked pretty
well, but in practice this pattern didn't fit my framework as well as I
had hoped. In the end, I abandoned that approach for what I call the
Model-View-Presenter (MVP) framework similar to Dolphin Smalltalk. It
differs from the MVC architecture in that each "Presenter" wraps a
wxPython "View" and adds code to automatically connect to a "Model"
inside the data model (as well as simplifying layout, and so on).

If you want to see some code, look in the CVS repository at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mindwrapper

Look under Mindwrapper/presentation. It is still quite preliminary, but
it might give you some ideas.

Regards,
Donnal Walter, MD, PhD
Arkansas Children's Hospital