It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun May 4 04:54:03 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes:

> Oh.  All my posts were about a 1.5.2 to 2.2 upgrade.  Even the
> Sleepycat upgrade_db script didn't seem able to recognize the 1.85
> file.  I ended up running "strings" on the database file to get the
> values out (fortunately they were all ascii), then writing a small
> Python script to populate a new database with them.  What a hack.  :-P

You could have continued to use db2 (which is what you used to create
the file), or you could have "properly" upgraded to a newer version

To continue to link with db2, add

bsddb bsddbmodule.c -I/usr/include/db2 -DHAVE_DB_185_H -ldb2

to Modules/Setup. To properly update the database from the 1.85
format, do

db_dump185 original_file|db_load new_file

Regards,
Martin