Scheme

Jedi Master Yoda yoda at dagobah.org
Mon May 19 10:37:13 EDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:46:23 +0200, Dirk Gerrits <dirk at gerrits.homeip.net>
spouted:
> I just saw a thread on comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.scheme that referred
> to Common Lisp as Lisp-2 and to Scheme as Lisp-1. What gives?

There are two families of Lisps, Common Lisp belongs to one kind and Scheme the
other. The actual difference is rather trivial, at least for outsiders.
However, the two camps will never be reconciled. Schemers think that
Scheme is Lisp done right, and Common Lispers think that Scheme is a
horrible abomination with not nearly enough syntax.

If I were in a particularly mischievous mood I would compare Common Lisp
to Perl, and Scheme to Python, but then I would get flamed to a crisp. But
I'm not, so I won't, so don't.