Just good advice? = WAS("Re: getting system date")

David Broadwell anti-spam.dbroadwell at mindspring.com
Sat May 17 01:10:40 EDT 2003

"David Broadwell" <dbroadwell.nospam at mindspring.com> wrote

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote
>>> Exactly: indeed, it's what SHOULD happen whenever feasible.

>> I'll try to keep that in mind, but I'll admit that it's a new concept.

> It's known as "polymorphism" -- maybe the hi-falutin' greek word
> may help make it memorable ;-).

<sarcasm>
Oh. When a your fellow party member isn't really a party
member and is really a evil creature waiting for you to
discover it?
</sarcasm>

I was referring to testing for a 'implementation'
feature that should indicate it's a type my routine
can work with, and not to hard testing to make sure
it was a type what I need.

Well, in 5 years off and on off playing with learning
programming before finding python, this is the first
really good concrete (for polymorphism) example I've
actually used. Maybe in reading all of this I HAVE
learned something eh?

Went through, Java, JavaScript, C/C++, basic and some
assembler. Still think I did my best work in assembler
even if I got nowhere. I really LIKE the interpreter,
solves the biggest problem I've always had, looping and
control. Like the hardware geek I am, I can test, hack
and test again!

Of course, now I'm looking at seeing what can polymorph
when I want it to. Latest example list.extend(string)
was a pleasant and useful surprise.

--

David Broadwell