dBase in Python, sorta?

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sat May 17 21:50:19 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 01:23, rzed wrote:
> Thank you for the information. It looks to be close to what I had in
> mind, once the back end is added. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem
> to be much competition in what, I would think, would be a natural for a
> Python-based package.

You are absolutely correct, but it is not just Python, it is the open
source movement in general which has overlooked this "market" niche:
something to replace FoxPro, MS Access or Filemaker. The basic
requirements, as you stated, are an easy way to create database schema,
a GUI input screen and menu builder, but with automatic data bindings to
the underlying schema, and a GUI report writer. All usable by
"non-professional programmers". GNUe seems to be furtherest along these
tracks, but its aims are more ambitious than just these requirements,
so  progress seems to be slower as a consequence.
--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0