A little disappointed so far

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at storm.ca._nospam
Sun May 25 22:25:57 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 01:48:47 +0100, Graham Nicholls
<graham at rockcons.co.uk> wrote:

> BTW I like the lack of syntax in Python.  Perl is awful for $ @ % & etc.
> But perl6 looks to be addressing some of that.

    Not much of it, from what I can tell. I work in Perl all day, but I
play in Python. Perl 6 is such a completely new language that I can't
see us ever moving to it.

    I feel some of the same frustrations as you, as I can solve problems
so quickly in Perl and I often have to work harder in Python. But, my
Python code is a damn sight easier to understand, it's much cleaner, and
I find that by writing a few simple convenience functions, I can solve
problems in Python just as quickly.

    Currently, the only things really missing from Python is an
equivalent to the CPAN (half the reason to use Perl), and some cool
tools to help with it, like cpan2rpm.

    I do worry that with each version of Python, the benefit of a simple
core language is going to be lost. I'm very happy that 2.3 is finally
improving performance for the language. That's been a complaint of mine
for some time.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix