It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 1 18:07:50 EDT 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> What the heck is going on with this?  Please stop breaking things.

Nothing breaks. Don't spread FUD.

> There are still an awful lot of systems running RedHat 7.x, which comes
> with Python 1.5.2.  You cannot think of 1.5.2 as an obsolete version of
> Python (in the sense that no one uses it any more).  1.5.2 comes with
> bsddb 1.85 and ONLY 1.85.

That is not true. On RedHat 7.2, bsddbmodule.so is linked with
Sleepycat DB 3.2 (I'm tempted to say "and ONLY libdb-3.2.so",
but that would not be true).

> So, please don't drop support for deprecated versions of bsddb, AND
> don't require anyone to "tickle appropriate lines in Modules/Setup" to
> make all the versions useable (at least by changing an import
> statement in a script).

That wouldn't help at all. Most likely, building bsddb185
will pick up some Sleepycat installation, giving you just the same
binary database format that you get when building PyBSDDB.

Regards,
Martin