So, how long does it take to learn

Alex delete.this.part.alex.news at attbi.com
Sun May 18 23:35:21 EDT 2003

Graham Nicholls wrote:

> I know thats an open ended question, but how long would you reckon it
> takes to get to be fairly productive, bearing in mind I've been
> preogramming for years ?
>
> Thanks
> Graham

It took me about 3 days to feel productive.   I've been programming
professionally for 10 years, mostly in C++, with a smattering of other
languages.

I'm exploring Python out of curiosity.  So far I love it.  It has proven
fantastic for writing small applications.  For this task, I consider
superior to any other language I've used.

I do not have any experience using Python to develop a large,
multi-developer, multi-year project.  I am curious about other's experience
in this regard.

I would *strongly* recommend 'Python in a Nutshell' by Alex Martelli.  It
will bring you up to speed very quickly.

Alex