Launching Multiple Servers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu May 22 08:45:29 EDT 2003

Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 09:43:31AM +0200, user at domain.invalid wrote:
> > >Norbert Klamann wrote
> >

> > >Why SocketServer ? Wouldn't 'Twisted' do the trick ? It delivers a lot
> > >of the necessary infrastructure to do these things the right way(tm).
> >
> > Twisted does certainly the trick, but i must admit that is seems complex
> > and the documentation is poor.
> > If you know some good doc. i'm your client
>
> Twisted isn't so much complex as *large*.  The trick is knowing which bits
> matter to you, and which parts to ignore -- unfortunately, or docs are
> fairly mediocre at helping you with that :(

I don't entirely agree.  Yes, Twisted is large, but there isn't really
any trick needed.  Just read the necessary How-Tos (such as on how to
make a simple TCP server) and (with a basic background in sockets) you
should have a working basic multiple-server app within a half hour or
less.  Heck, just use the example code and run it: it works.

There's no reason to worry about the size of Twisted, or figure out
"what to ignore".  There's an incredible amount to Twisted (I assume)
beyond what I've used so far, but that fact has not in any way
inhibited my work as Twisted is so well structured.

Maybe I'm weird: I even found the docs to be pretty good.

> Regardless, I think Twisted is worth investing a little time into.

Definitely!  :)

-Peter