Compatibility among Python versions -- was: Re: Python 1.5.2 - Multipart Mime handling.

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Fri May 9 10:01:22 EDT 2003

Kim Petersen wrote:
> [...] fortunatly it isn't difficult to ensure 1.5.2 compatibility in newer
> programs without restricting (or constricting) the developers ;-)

Unless newer versions of the third-party modules you depend on drop
Python 1.5.2 compatibilty. The open source ones I'm involved in require
at least Python 2.1 and the next versions will drop Python 2.1 support
and require at least Python 2.2.

I personally see no reason why I should bother with compatibilty for a
Python version I myself don't use since several years unless somebody
pays me hard money.

I also disagree that keeping compatibilty is generally easy. At the
Python C API level, things can become quite messy if you want to support
old versions *and* use the new/not deprecated API calls for newer Python
versions.

-- Gerhard