python IRC & Command line

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 26 14:47:05 EDT 2003

Jay O'Connor wrote:

> In article <3ED24885.6D98232C at engcorp.com>, "Peter Hansen"
> <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>
> > So, Jay, Andrew, Michael, and anyone else thinking of posting a list of
> > examples:  is there any reason to think that the *majority* of the
> > sysadmin code is in Python?  Or can we just take Michael's comments as
> > being a slightly over-enthusiastic expression of delight at just how
> > much of the sysadmin code really is in Python?
>
> Inductive logic.   So far every sysadmin tool I've used on a Python
> system has been written in Python Using inductive logic, I'd be willing
> to say that that sets a general rule

Wow.... with this kind of logic, one could "prove" all manner of
interesting things.  Heck, around here the horizon looks pretty flat
in *all* directions, so therefore your logic would probably lead you
to conclude that the earth is flat.

I liked Andrew's response much better.  I lieue of any further
comment from Michael, I'll accept his excellent conclusion, which
is that the RedHat *inhouse-developed* tools for installation and
configuration are pretty much all (i.e. "the majority") written in
or using Python.

This is probably what Michael meant by the rather too-general phrase
"sysadmin tools".

Thanks Andrew!

-Peter