Request for feedback on my first Python program

Ben Finney bignose-hates-spam at and-zip-does-too.com.au
Fri May 30 03:38:41 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003 23:14:45 -0700, Scott Meyers wrote:
> I'm a C++ programmer who's writing his very first Python program.

Glad to see you've come across to try the waters here, Scott.  Those
of us who grew up on your C++ books were wondering when you'd show :-)

Before I try debugging your code:
>   # if this language had a main(), it'd be here...

This is done in Python with:

  if( __name__ == '__main__' ):
    stuff_to_do_when_called_as_a_script()

This promotes reuse of *.py files as modules, since the same file can be
either run as a script or 'import'ed.

--
 \      "Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some |
  `\   sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick."  |