New to Python - Compiled Language?

Michael Geary Mike at DeleteThis.Geary.com
Tue Nov 4 22:01:50 EST 2003

> > ... there is a tool called py2exe that you may want to look into
> > in order to bundle your program into an executable on Win32.
> > (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/)

> I think that would be very useful, thank you. :)
>
> When I say compiled language, I do mean a language like C++ which is
> transformed into machine code by a compiler.
>
> I was under the impression that Python had no such compiler, and that
> the end user of my programs would be required to install the Python
> Interpreter. Is that true in most cases?

Um, did you look at the link above? :-)

Python compiles to bytecode, not to machine code. But that doesn't mean the
end user needs to install a Python interpreter.

> Also, can Python support Linked Lists? I believe someone said in one
> of the other emails that Python doesn't support pointers.

Lists are a native Python type. They're one of the things it does best--you
don't need to implement linked lists yourself with pointers.

-Mike