Leo + Python: the ultimate scripting tool: Conclusion

Brad Clements bkc at Murkworks.com
Wed Nov 12 11:45:12 EST 2003

_
"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts at bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
news:m3brrhliid.fsf at tanelorn.bandersnatch.org...
> "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> There are several ways to communicate as the leader of an open-source
> project.

Including posting in the source forge forum that was setup for that purpose,
rather than emailing the author directly, or posting in c.l.p

> One is of condescending arrogance, to wit, "My time is so
> important that you must jump through hoops to speak to me." The other
> is one of helpful cooperation. "Thanks, I'm really busy right now,
> I'll address the issue you raised as soon as I can."

Nick,

While I don't know you, I've read your posts in this forum and found them
all to be reasonable. I'm surprised that you expressed your opinion in such
harsh terms this time.

> It's left as an excercise to the reader which category I see Edward's
> tactic falling into. :^)

Some time ago I sent email to Edward and I received  the "you must confirm
you're a human" thing. True, I thought it was annoying and in fact did not
immediately do anything about it. However we all have Spam issues and while
I wouldn't have taken Edwards approach to solving my spam problems, I
eventually expended 30 seconds to "suplicate myself to his spam software"
and get my message through.

I don't think it's supplication to the author, just his anti-spam guard dog.
I don't see Edwards statement (paraphrased)  "if you want me to take time to
solve your problem, take a moment to confirm your a human" as arrogance,
just a fact of life.

Rather than writing to the author, you could just post in the Leo specific
forum, where your post could be answered by Edward or other users, and the
ensuing thread would be archived for other folks to later benefit from.