prePEP: Decimal data type

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 10:50:02 EST 2003

John Roth wrote:

> Lots of comments in line. See especially the comment
> about *NOT* wanting limited precision, as envisioned
> in the referenced decimal *floating point* standards.
> Since we've got infinite precision integer arithmetic, going to
> limited precision decimal arithmetic is, IMNSHO, a step backwards.

There may be a niche for a Rational data type, but in MHO it cannot take the
place of a limited-precision-decimal (fixed or float).  I suggest you think
of a separate PEP to propose Rational (check the existing and rejected ones
first, there may be some that are relevant) rather than attacking this one.

I think Guido will never accept rationals becoming as widespread as they
were in ABC (the default noninteger type) and is on record as saying that.
The performance implications of the fact that summing two rationals (which
take O(M) and O(N) space respectively) gives a rational which takes O(M+N)
memory space is just too troublesome.  There are excellent Rational
implementations in both pure Python and as extensions (e.g., gmpy), but
they'll always be a "niche market" IMHO.  Probably worth PEPping, not worth
doing without Decimal -- which is the right way to represent sums of money,
a truly major use case in the real world.

(Facundo, I think you should include these considerations in the PEP to
explain why you're NOT going for rationals.)

>>     if otherType is a string:
>>
>>         g. an exception is raised
>>         h. otherType is converted to Decimal
>>         i. Decimal is converted to string (bizarre, huh?)
>
> The "other type" should be handled in the same way the decimal()
> constructor would handle it.

I think this total breach with Python tradition would be a terrible mistake.

23+"43" is NOT handled in the same way as 23+int("45"), and a VERY
good thing that is too.  It's a completely different thing for a user to
EXPLICITLY indicate they want construction (conversion) and to just happen
to sum two objects one of which by mistake could be a string.

(Facundo, perhaps it's worth it for the PEP to point this out explicitly,
too; part of a PEP's purpose is to record the highlights of the discussion
and design choices that had to be made).

Alex