Origin of the term "first-class object"

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Nov 17 17:12:04 EST 2003

Hung Jung Lu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anybody know where this term comes from?
>
>"First-class object" means "something passable as an argument in a
>function call", but I fail to see the connection with "object class"
>or with "first-class airplane ticket". I just find the name a bit
>strange. Also, if there are first-class objects, what would the
>second-class objects or economy/tourist class objects be? :)

"Second class citizens" are those denied the rights afforded to "first
class citizens".  In this context, first class objects are those which
can participate in the (object) environment in the same manner as any
other "normal" object.  In many languages, classes are not able to be
processed in the same manner as regular objects (e.g. being passed into
functions, introspected for their type, holding properties).

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder