Ques From CS Grad Student

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Nov 27 16:15:15 EST 2003

suenacita1 wrote:

> Hi. I'm a masters student at the George Washington University
> currently taking an Open Source Software Development course. One of
> our assignments was to do a presentation on an open source project
> and i chose Python. I have most of my presentation done but had a
> couple questions where I want the help of the Python community to
> help me answer.
>
> 1. How many members are involved directly, and how many peripherally?
> 2. What do you use to drive releases?
> 3. How often does the project release major and minor revisions?
> 4. What tools do they use to manage the source?
> 5. How does the Python project resolve conflicts between members?

I'm sorry to say it, but the fact that you haven't got an answer to
question 3, at least, hints strongly that you've made very little effort
at all to research this on your own!

Go to www.python.org and spend a few minutes in surfing and thought
and you'll at least answer that one question on your own.

I suspect several of the other questions would be almost as easily
answered, perhaps with reference to the list archives.

And some of the questions are next to useless, and appear to be
repeated verbatim from some generic questionnaire that everyone
in the course is expected to use.  "Drive releases"?  What is that
supposed to mean?  The text editor used?  The revision control
system?  The process?  What type of car they used to get to the
sprints? :-)

-Peter