Regular expression code implementation review between Tcl vs Python

K_Lee Google_Post at slink-software.com
Wed Nov 12 10:25:54 EST 2003

David Gravereaux <davygrvy at pobox.com> wrote in message news:<tph3rvsru37i0b86jr1s4egr3bdvjqitrm at 4ax.com>...
> Google_Post at slink-software.com (K_Lee) wrote:
>
> >I guess the TCL original goal was also to support
> >Win16, DOS, etc.
>
> No it wasn't.  Given whatever core an extension is loaded into, the
> extension grabs the function table from the core it is loaded into.
>
> Say for example I build all of Tcl statically into my application (kinda
> dumb, but let's just say).  If I try to load an extension into it, where is
> it supposed to get the Tcl functions it needs?  Do you see the issue Stubs
> solves?

Ok, David,  I understand better now.

(Putting on my monday morning quarterback hat.)

If the original design specifies that
    * If you load extension with .so/dll, you are required
    load tcl from .so/dll.
then we can get rid the stub interface, right?

That doesn't sound like an unreasonable requirement for
people who use any tcl + extension.

I still think Tcl'folks did a great jobs, just like to know the
trade off vs. features better.

K Lee